Health Minister Sussan Ley today announced the composition of the Australian Medical Research Advisory Board, which will be chaired by Prof Ian Frazer. Two further Fellows of the Academy, Prof Doug Hilton and Prof Karen Reynolds were also been appointed to the board, which will advise the Government on how funds held in the Medical Research Fund (MRFF) should be allocated.
“The newly announced advisory board will bring a diversity of talent to lead discussion about priorities for MRFF funding, and about the mechanisms for establishing and reviewing those priorities. This process will start with a round table held under the auspices of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences in Sydney on 29th April.” said Prof Frazer.
MRFF Advisory Board Members;
- Prof Ian Frazer AC (Chair), Director of Research of the Translational Research Institute;
- Prof Doug Hilton, President of the Association of Australian Medical Research Institute and Director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute;
- Prof Karen Reynolds, Director of the Medical Device Research Institute and the Medical Device Partnering Program and Deputy Dean of the School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics at Flinders University;
- Mr Yasser El-Ansary, Chief Executive of the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association;
- Prof Peter Høj, Vice-Chancellor and President of the University of Queensland;
- Prof Anne Kelso AO, Chief Executive, National Health and Medical Research Council;
- Dr Deborah Rathjen, Managing Director, Bionomics Corporation, and;
- Ms Jennifer Williams, former chief executive of the Australian Red Cross Blood Service.