The Academy is working as part of the Rapid Research Information Forum (RRIF), a group chaired by Chief Scientist, Dr Alan Finkel AO FAA FTSE FAHMS. The expert forum provides a mechanism to the government to receive scientific input and evidence-based responses on questions regarding COVID-19.
The forum draws on the interdisciplinary expertise of Australia’s peak scientific bodies and further information is available from the Australian Academy of Science, which leads on the forum’s operations.
To date, the RRIF has produced responses on:
- Monitoring wastewater to detect COVID-19 (21 April)
- Re-infection with SARS-CoV-2 (19 April) – drafting led by AAHMS
- Seasonality of COVID-19: Impact on the spread and severity (15 April)
- The predictive value of serological testing during the COVID-19 pandemic (30 April)
- Learning outcomes for online versus in-class education (1 May)
- Impact of the pandemic on Australia’s research workforce (8 May)
- The most promising vaccines for COVID-19 (11 May)
- The most promising therapeutics for COVID-19 (17 May)
- The impact of COVID-19 on women in the STEM workforce (17 May)
We are grateful to our Fellows and Associate Members who are providing valuable input into the forum.
The responses can be downloaded below.
Image credit: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, NIH