Learn more about the rewarding career of a clinician-scientist at our Life as a Clinician-Scientist Symposium, Western Australia.
Created to inspire medical and health sciences students, junior doctors, health professionals, and early career researchers, this event features leading experts sharing their experiences in this ground-breaking profession.
Clinician-scientists combine clinical practice with medical research, allowing them to take their insights from working with patients to answer fundamental scientific questions, then use those insights to improve patient care.
Join us in Perth to learn about the many pathways to this exciting career, which leads to a lifetime of challenge, discovery and fulfilment. Our Fellows, alongside other senior, mid- and early-career researchers, will share their stories about working with their unique combination of clinical medicine and science, and how to master the skills necessary to succeed.
Attendees will have the opportunity to seek one-on-one advice from our expert speakers and sign-up for spot mentoring sessions.
- Professor Timothy Davis FAHMS (convenor), Professor of Medicine, The University of Western Australia
- Professor Stephen Stick FAHMS, Head, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children; Research Strategy Leader, Telethon Kids Institute
- Professor Karen Simmer FAHMS, Professor of Newborn Medicine; Director, Neonatal Intensive Care Units, The University of Western Australia
- Professor Asha Bowen, Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Perth Children’s Hospital and Program Head, End Rheumatic Heart Disease (END RHD) and Team Lead, Healthy Skin and ARF Prevention at Telethon Kids Institute
- Associate Professor Fred Chen, Ophthalmologist; Director Clinical Research, Lions Eye Institute
- Associate Professor Roslyn Francis, Associate Professor of Molecular Imaging, University of Western Australia
- Associate Professor Gina Ravenscroft, Principal Research Fellow, Harry Perkins Institute for Medical Research
- Professor David Mackey FAHMS, Professor of Ophthalmology, The University of Western Australia
We are grateful to gold event sponsor for their generous contribution.
The Academy is grateful for the generous support from our Life as a Clinician-Scientist program sponsors.