Explore the possibilities of a fulfilling career combining your clinical practice with health research.
Our Life as a Clinician-Scientist symposia are designed to inspire junior doctors, medical, health and sciences students, and early career researchers to pursue a career as a clinician-scientist.
What is a clinician-scientist?
Clinician-scientists combine clinical practice with health research, allowing them to take their insights from working with patients to answer fundamental scientific questions and ultimately improve patient care.
The symposium offers a unique platform to meet leading experts in the field and learn about the many pathways to this exciting career.
Our Fellows, alongside other senior, mid- and early-career researchers, will share their stories about their unique combination of clinical medicine and science, and how to master the skills necessary to succeed.
Chaired by Professor Ingrid Scheffer AO FRS FAA FAHMS (Chair of Paediatric Neurology, The University of Melbourne and founder of the Life as a Clinician-Scientist program), our speaker line-up for the Melbourne symposium includes:
- Professor Fiona Stanley AC FASSA FAHMS, Founding Director and Patron of the Telethon Kids Institute, and Distinguished Research Professor, School of Paediatrics and Child Health.
- Professor Sam Berkovic AC FAA FRS FAHMS, Director, Epilepsy Research Centre, The University of Melbourne
- Professor Anne Kelso AO FAA FAHMS, Former CEO of the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) and Honorary Professor, The University of Melbourne
- Professor Harriet Hiscock FAHMS, Group leader, Health Services and Economics, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute
- Professor Richard Kitching FAHMS, Professor, Monash University and Nephrologist/Paediatric Nephrologist, Monash Health
- Others to be announced
Full program available online soon.
Attendees will have the opportunity to seek advice from our expert speakers and sign-up for spot mentoring sessions. Don’t miss your chance to hear from and meet with some of Victoria’s ground-breaking clinician-scientists.
Places are limited – register now to secure your spot.
Registration includes morning tea and lunch.
We are grateful to all our sponsors for their generous contributions.
Victorian Symposium Sponsors:
Life as a Clinician-Scientist Sponsors: