Australian Research Data Commons: Australian Learned Academies Data Interworking Network
The Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences is working alongside the nation’s other Learned Academies on a project to ensure researchers have access to the best tools and resources for data-led research now and in the future.
Led by Australian Research Data Commons (ARDC), the Australian Learned Academies Data Interworking Network project will combine the strategic knowledge and experience of the Learned Academies with the national data infrastructure of ARDC.
The five Learned Academies and Australian Council of Learned Academies (ACOLA) will work together to produce a report that captures:
- An overview of disciplinary and cross-disciplinary data assets, infrastructures and policies required for data-enabled research
- Identification of the data and infrastructure requirements within and between disciplines
- Identification of common opportunities, challenges, priorities and data gaps across research disciplines.
AAHMS will investigate these areas in the health and medical sciences led by our National Health and Medical Data Steering Committee, chaired by Professor Louisa Jorm FAHMS.
We will produce a report that will explore the types of national datasets accessed and used for health and medical research, and how they are used. This investigation will help us to articulate the strategic infrastructure needs and requirements for health and medical research data.
AAHMS’ findings in the health and medical sciences will also contribute to a cross-discipline, collaborative report, co-ordinated by ACOLA, that will describe how best Australia could support Australia’s researchers to address our society’s greatest challenges.
Australia’s five Learned Academies, brought together by the Australian Council of Learned Academies (ACOLA), are:
- Australian Academy of Science (AAS)
- Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE)
- Australian Academy of the Humanities (AAH)
- Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia (ASSA)
- Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences (AAHMS)
This is a 12-month co-investment project between the ARDC, Australia’s five Learned Academies and ACOLA, ending mid-2022.
Learn more about it at the ARDC project page.
National Health and Medical Data Steering Committee
Professor Louisa Jorm FAHMS, Chair
Professor Melanie Bahlo FAHMS
Professor Julie Byles FAHMS
Professor John Carlin FAHMS
Professor Annette Dobson AM FAHMS
Professor Stephen Jan FAHMS
Professor Anton Peleg FAHMS