The 2021 AAHMS Annual Meeting program for 26 to 28 October includes panels and presentations on Academy policy priorities such as climate change and health, better integration of research into healthcare, and the impact of COVID-19. Highlights include:
– Professor Sharon Lewin AO FAHMS, Doherty Institute Director, will lead a session with Dr Anthony Fauci OMRI, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director discussing the impact of research on the control of COVID-19 in a session.
– Professor Russell Gruen FAHMS, ANU College of Health and Medicine Dean, will chair a keynote and panel with Associate Professor Kamalini Lokuge OAM HOSM, ANU Senior Fellow, on evidence and effective COVID control.
– Professor Fran Baum AO FASSA FAHMS, Southgate Institute for Health, Society and Equity Director, will chair a discussion with Dr Nick Watts, Chief Sustainability Officer, NHS England & NHS Improvement, on evidence-based approaches to achieving a greener healthcare system.
– Professor Christina Mitchell AO FAHMS, Monash Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Dean, will lead a conversation with Professor Sir John Savill FRS FMedSci FRSE FAHMS, Melbourne Academic Centre for Health Executive Director, on harnessing research for better health.
– Professor Emily Banks AM FAHMS, ANU Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health will chair a keynote from Associate Professor Lisa Whop, ANU Senior Research Fellow, on implementing research for maximum impact on health.
The 2021 AAHMS annual meeting will be held entirely online. We will also be holding our annual Mentorship Workshop online on Tuesday 26 October alongside the annual meeting.
This premier Academy event brings together Fellows, Associate Members and key stakeholders from across Australia to share ideas, welcome the Academy’s new Fellows in 2021 and celebrate outstanding achievements of researchers in the health and medical sciences.
We’re pleased to announce that registration is free and the Annual Scientific Meeting, New Fellows announcement and awards announcements are open to all interested attendees. We look forward to sharing our celebrations with you all.
The program will be held over three days:
- Tuesday 26 October 2021
- Annual Mentorship Workshop, 11am to 2.30pm AEDT – Mentorship Workshop Program
- New Fellow announcements, 5-5.45pm AEDT
- Wednesday 27 October 2021
- Welcome, 11 to 11.20am AEDT
- Keynote: Impact of research on the control of COVID-19, 11.20am to 12pm AEDT
- Keynote and panel: Impact of research on COVID-19 policy and practice, 12 to 1pm AEDT
- Break, 1 to 1.30pm AEDT
- Welcome back, 1.30 to 140pm AEDT
- Panel: Impact of COVID on the research sector, 1.40 to 2.30pm AEDT
- Keynote: Evidence-based approaches to achieving a greener healthcare system, 2.30 to 3.10pm AEDT
- AAHMS AGM, 3.30pm AEDT (Academy members only)
- Celebration of 2021 honorific awardees and the CSL Centenary Fellowships, 5pm AEDT
- Thursday 28 October 2021
- Welcome, 11 to 11.10am AEDT
- Panel: Impact of scientists in the media, 11.10am to 12pm AEDT
- Keynote: Harnessing research for better health: A vision for integrating research into healthcare, 12 to 12.40pm AEDT
- Break, 12.40-1.10pm AEDT
- Welcome back, 1.10 to 1.20pm AEDT
- Keynote: Implementation of research to maximise impact on health, 1.20 to 1.50pm AEDT
- Panel: Strategically embedding research into the health system, 1.50 to 2.20pm AEDT
- Mentorship update, 2.20 to 2.40pm AEDT
- Tuesday 26 October 2021