Our 2020 Annual Meeting will be streamed live from Sydney and online on 14-16 October, including:
- Annual Mentorship Workshop: Wednesday 14 October 2020
- Annual Scientific Meeting: Thursday 15 – Friday 16 October 2020
- Awards celebration: Thursday 15 October 2020
The Scientific Meeting will explore ‘Progressing precision medicine, disease prevention and control‘.
Day 1: Progressing precision medicine – the science of precision medicine has for some time offered significant promise for our hopes of better understanding and tackling disease. Our detailed knowledge of disease is progressing rapidly. Yet, only a handful of precision medicine approaches are now routinely used in medicine and healthcare – and there is variation between the different fields of health and medicine. Specialties such as infectious diseases, cancer and single gene diseases are relatively advanced in their efforts to progress precision medicine, but its application to other specialties is lagging. We will review the current status of precision medicine in Australia and will ask how we can better translate the science into a reality. Sessions will explore:
- Precision medicine: where are we?
- Realising the promise of precision medicine – breaking down barriers at the research-clinical interface.
- Realising the promise of precision medicine – addressing the broader challenges and issues.
Day 2: Progressing public health, prevention and control – we are in the midst of a public health emergency as we look to tackle the pandemic and recover as a society. At the same time, the health of the public has increasingly demanded that we develop strategies to prevent chronic diseases. We ask how Australia can best progress public health, prevention and control over the coming months, years and decades, to improve the health of all Australians. Sessions will explore:
- Delivering effective preventive health in Australia.
- The COVID-19 pandemic: What lessons can we take for the future from the pandemic so far?
- Impacts of a pandemic – making the best of it.
Further details to follow and registration will open in mid-August.
The AAHMS greatly appreciates the support of:
With additional support from